Sunday, April 12, 2009

Birds nest wiring


This is what I now have to sort out! I've got wires going everywhere, but not where they're supposed to be going. An indication of how bad it is: I found two wires connected to the coil that were coming from the ballast resistor. The (dodgey) wiring diagram shows there should be one wire going from the ballast resistor to the coil and the other going to the ignition. The back of the ignition has all wires accounted for so now I need to find out where the wires been cut, and rejoin it.
Another example: I tried starting the car the other day. It wouldn't start. I kept trying and then the starter motor stayed on! I turned the ignition off and pulled out the key. Still going! I had to run around to the battery and disconnect it.
Another example: Both fuses are blown in the fuse panel. I replaced the top one with a 15A fuse to see what would happen. The interior light came on. That's a start! I closed the door, it stayed on. I turned the light switch around to see if that would turn it off, it didn't light stayed on. I turned on the headlights and the interior light went dim. I turned the headlights off anf the interior light went off. I checked the fuse. . . . . . blown
Another example: If I turn on the headlights the headlights come on. . . . This is good. If I push the foot button to turn on the high beam lights, ALL the lights turn off. . . . . This is bad!

I bought a reproduction workshop manual so I had a good wiring diagram to work from. I opened it up to find that they publisher had reduced two A4 pages of the original onto one A4 page. Each page was now half it's original. To make it worse, they've photocopied that again! I scanned it into the computer at 1200dpi and ran the sharpen tool over it. This is an extract of it. Try and figure out what the wire colours are!

No comments:

Post a Comment