Sunday, April 19, 2009

New drivers side glass!


When I got the car the drivers side window was missing. There was a replacement with the car. I went to put the glass in only to find that it wasn't the correct glass for the car. After some searching, I managed to find a new door glass. I was told that the glass is very rare in the VIP's as they didn't have 1/4 vent windows like the other models. Also, as it's an air conditioned car, the glass is tinted green, making it even more rarer.
I went to put the new glass in, this time to find out the reason why the original broke. The winder mechanism had cracked and opened up, allowing the winding cog to separate from the winding arm. As this is spring loaded to help with the winding, it probably flicked the glass and shattered it. The cog also had damaged teeth that wouldn't fit in the winder arm properly.
I found a winding mechanism for a back door, pulled out the winder and swapped it for the VIP one. I then manipulated the housing back into shape and welded the cracks to hold it in place. The threads on the face plate were also found to be stripped. I welded some nuts on the back of the plate to provide adequate fixing when put back in the car.
Now I have the correct glass in the door and it winds up and down straight without tipping forward. This needed a lot of adjustment to get it right.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations. Now your vent for the right hand side of the air conditioner is operational!

    ReplyDelete